Due to a long history of studies on mold and its effects on human beings, it is easy to be aware of the potential health risks that afflict humans from household mold growth. However, pets are a different story.
Believe it or not, your pets are at greater risk of experiencing adverse health effects from mold-related issues because pets’ immune systems are not as advanced as humans. This means that mold can be especially dangerous when considering our furry companions.
The risks of mold
The risks mold presents to our pets were not discovered until recently, and now we know that household molds can be even more virulent in our pets than in ourselves.
This most notably includes cats and dogs, but extends to various other small animals commonly found living as pets.
When continually exposed to mold, especially mycotoxin-creating molds such as black mold, our pets can experience a severe range of side effects and health problems, sometimes even leading to death, unless they receive proper – and immediate – medical care.
Mold affects are pets in two distinct ways
The first is through mold spores, released into our home’s airways from mold growths found throughout our homes. Our pets come into contact with mold spores through inhalation, and when inhaled, our pets may experience a range of respiratory issues.
The most typical of these inhalant-related issues include fever, lethargy, and problems with breathing. This could look like difficult or rapid breathing, coughing, sneezing, nasal discharge, laziness or inability to move swiftly, and even bleeding from the mouth or nose.
The other way mold affects our pets is through ingestion: eating foods with visible or invisible mold growths attached to them. This commonly leads to digestive problems, the most notable of which includes damage to the gastrointestinal tract.
Symptoms of mold
Symptoms of mold ingestion include loss of appetite, vomiting, and changes in our pets’ stool.